Is it us or are the years getting shorter and shorter? It doesn't feel like that long ago that I was composing our last holiday greeting! Amazingly, a lot has happened in what feels like such a short amount of time.
The year started off with some exciting news for my career. I accepted a job planning meetings and events for Ernst & Young. I primarily handle events in the Carolinas, the majority of which are here in Charlotte (less travel). I'm getting used to the higher volume, smaller scale, and quirks of working for such a big company, but I am really enjoying my new role and it's been a great change! In addition, I was awarded the Certified Meeting Professional designation this spring. While it's no MD, in my industry this certification is a pretty big deal. So I was pleased that the months of putting together my application, waiting, studying, and then finally taking the exam paid off! I'm officially Sarah Beth Sharkey, CMP.
 |
| First-ever May Day |
 |
| The fruits of our labor |
Once the weather began to warm up, Ryan and I decided to tear down our old deck and replace it. It was our first big construction project, but we couldn't be happier with the results. Our new, improved deck with built-in seating and pretty pergola was completed just in time to enjoy the springtime weather. If you haven't yet, come drop by and enjoy one of Ryan's homebrews on the finished product! To break it in, we hosted our inaugural May Day celebration. We had a great turn out of friends from near and far for beer, barbecue, outdoor games, and cool, spring weather. Although we are committed to making it an annual bash, we have not set a date for 2013's event... stay tuned!
 |
| Amsterdam |
 |
| Is a caption even needed here? |
In May, Ryan attended an enormous tradeshow that takes place every four years in Dusseldorf, Germany. I was fortunate enough to be able to join them at the tail end of the event for a very short European adventure. I met them in Germany where we enjoyed a dinner afloat the Rhine River with his Swedish colleagues. From there we took a train to Amsterdam, where we toured all the naughty and nice sites the city has to offer -- we meandered through the canals, visited the Anne Frank House, viewed Van Gogh's masterpieces, and took a stroll through the Red Light District. Then we hopped a train to France. Paris was just as I had expected. I loved the people-watching! During our action-packed visit, we squeezed in all of the must-sees: Notre Dame, Champs de Elysee, Eiffel Tour, markets along the Seine, Luxembourg Gardens, the Louvre, etc. We also tasted Paris, too. We enjoyed plenty of Bordeaux, cheese, french fries, ice cream, beef bourguignon, baguette sandwiches, etc. Before we knew it, we were on a plane home... exhausted and craving cheeseburgers.
 |
| Ryan's 30th birthday |
By summertime, we had settled into normal life as we know it. We celebrated Ryan's 30th birthday, attended Floyd Fest for our fifth consecutive year, enjoyed barbecues with friends, and warm weather fun. But in August, we found out some news that has and will change "life as we know it." Ryan and I will be welcoming a baby girl to our family in April! So now we spend a lot of our time anxiously preparing for our little arrival! Although my parents have grandchildren, this will be the first for Ryan's parents. Regardless of grandchild count, both sides are over-the-moon-excited and so are we!
We have had other additions to our extended "family" this year, too! Welcome to the world, Dylan Allen, Molly Fleming, Abner Vihlen, Felix Hammond, Nicholas Patton, Levi Hurrell, Stella and Haley Brown, Stephen Sharkey, Jack Sharkey, Miller Eckley, Brigham Cooper, Maggie Sharkey, and Molly Johnson!
Sadly, with all this new life, we have also had loss. This year, we lost three beautiful souls: Ryan's maternal grandmother, Caroline Ervin; Ryan's paternal grandfather, Jack Sharkey; and Ryan's aunt, Didi Sharkey. While all tremendous losses, the family has found peace in knowing that they were all so very dearly loved. They will be truly missed.
All of this news -- both good and bad -- is a good reminder to count our blessings. Ryan and I are as lucky as ever to be blessed with supportive friends and family, productive careers, comfort, love, adventure, and an expanding family. We hope that your and yours are as fortunate!!
Best wishes this holiday season, and always,
Sarah, Ryan, Jake, Harvey, and Baby Girl Sharkey
No comments:
Post a Comment